The 80/20 Principle: Everything You Need to Know

by Fused Hawaii December 02, 2019

The 80/20 Principle: Everything You Need to Know

It’s time to get motivational on you now. Many of you have probably read about the “80/20” rule recently. What exactly does this principle mean, and how can you incorporate it into your life today?

 

Let’s first do a little background explanation.

 

The 80/20 principle states that 80% of results come from just 20% of action. In essence, it can make 80% of your work disappear.

 

Vilfredo Federico Damaso Pareto

Pareto was born in Italy in 1848, becoming a renowned philosopher and economist. According to Italian legend, one day Pareto noticed that 20% of the pea plants in his garden were generating about 80% of the healthy pea pods. When he thought about the uneven distribution, he discovered that 80% of land in Italy was owned by just 20% of the population.

 

Looking further, he discovered that in just about every industry, this 80/20 principle held constant.

 

Transferring this concept into today, it can be seen everywhere: you own 10 bathing suits, and only wear about two of them to functions, time after time; only 20% of the employees at your work are doing 80% of the heavy lifting; of the 50 apps on your phone, 80% of the time, you’re only using the three main social media apps on your home screen.

 

So how can you apply the 80/20 principle? Why should it matter?

 

Instead of trying to do the impossible every day, the Pareto approach is to understand which projects are the most important. Which projects are related to your goals, to the future of your life? Which tasks are distractions?

 

No matter what you are doing in your life, it’s important to remember that there are only so may hours in the day. You can’t do it all. Focus on 20% of work that will drive the other 80% of your life.  Think of it as a spillover investment:

  • If I eat healthy and work out every morning, I will be more productive at work, receive a raise, improve my mood, strengthen my relationship, and have more energy for everyone else in my life.
  • If I sleep more at night, I will be happier, more well rested, and I will perform better throughout the day.
  • If I save 20% of my money now, I can invest in 80% of my future down the line.

 

It’s up to you how you want to make it work in your life!

 

Fused Hawaii

Time management is an essential skill that most adults struggle to master. Try adopting this kind of 80/20 approach to your life this week. You may find it easier than ever before to get out in front of your goals.



Fused Hawaii
Fused Hawaii

Author



Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.

#cart_form > div:nth-child(4) > h4